POSitive Processing Blog
Merchant Guide: 10 Essential Tips for Preventing Chargebacks
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
A chargeback – also called a reversal – is the return of credit card funds that were used to make a purchase to the cardholder. A chargeback occurs when a customer makes a refund request through their credit card’s issuing bank.
Most chargeback situations arise at the time the transaction is completed. Possible reasons for chargebacks include:
Every business wants to keep their chargeback expenses to a minimum. Here are our top tips on doing so.
- Unauthorized use of a credit card (stolen card)
- Product or service not being received
- Customer dissatisfaction with a product or service
- “Friendly fraud” or the result of a consumers filing an illegitimate chargeback
If a product or service is going to be delayed, advise the cardholder the option of a different product or service or canceling the transaction all together.
- When a cardholder disputes a transaction, the issuing bank may request the merchant to provide copies of receipts and other paperwork related to the sale. Always respond to these requests.
- Do not a complete a transaction if the authorization request was declined. Do not repeat authorization for payments that are declined.
- Make sure your billing descriptor is accurate. Often a customer will initiate a chargeback because the business name on the statement is unfamiliar and doesn’t match your DBA.
- Clearly communicate your contact information, as well as return, refund, cancellation and shipping policies.
- If a customer is ordering online, promptly send a receipt via email.
- Settle and deposit your sales receipts with your merchant bank in a timely manner.
- If a customer request cancellation of a recurring transaction, such as a membership or service, always respond to the request and cancel the transaction as specified by the customer.
- Be accurate and clear about your product and service to prevent any customer misunderstandings.
- Ship merchandise before depositing and transaction.
Just For Fun
Products and Services
Data Security and Fraud Prevention
05/29/2019 - Is Friendly Fraud Putting Your
04/29/2019 - Gift Cards: The Gift That Thie
04/03/2019 - Chargebacks: What Are They and
02/13/2019 - 3 Tips To Protect Your Busines
11/12/2018 - Are you PCI Compliant?
03/14/2018 - Merchant Guide: 10 Essential T
02/12/2018 - Common Business Scams and How
02/09/2018 - Data Security Fast Facts
01/17/2018 - Vulnerability Scanning vs. Pen
01/17/2018 - BBB Warns of Email Scams This
01/10/2018 - Arm Your Business Against Cybe
11/15/2017 - MERCHANT FRAUD ALERT, 11-15-20
09/22/2017 - Have You Heard How OMEGA’s Dat
08/02/2017 - MERCHANT FRAUD ALERT, 08-02-20
OMEGA in the Community
OMEGA Merchants, News, and People
B2B and E-Commerce Solutions
Short-Term Capital Funding
Gift Cards and Customer Rewards
FI Partner Program