POSitive Processing Blog
Happy Labor Day Weekend!
Friday, September 2, 2016
In the late 1800s, at the height of the U.S. Industrial Revolution, the average American worked 12-hour days and seven-day weeks in order to eke out a basic living. On September 5, 1882, in protest of these unfair, often unsafe working conditions, 10,000 workers took unpaid time off to march from New York’s City Hall to Union Square, holding the first Labor Day parade in U.S. history. The idea of a “workingman’s holiday” took off, and Congress would legalize the holiday 12 years later, bringing the American workers’ rights squarely into the public’s view.
Today, more than 130 years later, we celebrate the contributions and achievements of American workers on the first Monday of every September. Labor Day is now celebrated with a day off of work filled with festivals, food, and fireworks. Take a look at some of these fun facts about the day:
- The ‘no white after Labor Day’ rule began because families would come home from vacation and pack all of their summer clothes away.
- That means Labor Day (un)officially marks the end of summer and start to a new school year.
- Labor Day is the third most popular holiday weekend for barbecuing, after the Fourth of July and Memorial Day.
- It’s also, according to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, the official end to hot dog season. (The official beginning of the season is Memorial Day)
- The switch from NFL pre-season to regular season starts during the week following Labor Day.
- Retailers have turned Labor Day into the second largest ‘sale’ day in the United States. Their first is Black Friday.
Just For Fun
11/14/2018 - Thanksgiving Fun Facts
05/24/2017 - Facts You Might Not Know (or M
03/13/2017 - Keys To Success — 8 To Be Grea
09/02/2016 - Happy Labor Day Weekend!
Products and Services
Data Security and Fraud Prevention
OMEGA in the Community
OMEGA Merchants, News, and People
B2B and E-Commerce Solutions
Short-Term Capital Funding
Gift Cards and Customer Rewards
FI Partner Program