POSitive Processing Blog
Beat the Summertime Blues
Wednesday, July 19, 2017
The weather outside is beautiful, the temperature in the office is freezing, and your coworker just headed out for a week-long vacation - it must be summertime! As you sit at your desk daydreaming of that trip you’re not on, it can be easy to lose motivation to finish the work in front of you.
Before you chalk this season’s productivity up as a loss, take a look at these five easy ways get your focused back and beat those Summertime Blues:
Study after study shows being outdoors boosts well-being, while Vitamin D (the sun) is proven to increase energy levels. Don’t miss out on the summer sun, use it to your advantage!
Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
- Skip the break room and head outside. Even 5 minutes of sunlight provides a good dose of Vitamin D.
- Take a walk during your lunch break, or schedule a ‘walking’ meeting. Not only is exercise good for you physically, but also is shown to improve mental capacity.
Whether you’re moving around or sitting at your desk, it’s summer, it’s hot, and we sweat. When you’re dehydrated, you become increasingly tired and slow. Staying hydrated keeps both your energy and your spirits up.
Plot Your Ups and Downs
- Keep a water bottle at your desk to refill throughout the day. Add strawberries, lemons or mint for a bit of flavor. As an added bonus, peppermint boosts your mood and promotes concentration!
- Avoid the up and down crashes of coffee or soda. If you need caffeine, drink green tea for a steadier boost of energy over a longer period of time.
What time of the day do you have the most energy? When do you have your slumps? When you know when you’re going to be productive, organizing your day makes it all the easier to stay on task.
Take a Break
- Write out a schedule of what you need to get done each day. If you’re productive in the morning, schedule projects that require more concentration. Lethargic after lunch? That’s your time for the mundane tasks.
If you’re losing focus, you’re not going to do good work. The boredom of a long, monotonous task could be draining your energy.
Skip the Five O’clock Clock Out
- Change things up. Switch to a different task, refill your water, or talk with a colleague. Even a couple minute break can help refocus you on the work at hand.
It’s summer time - no one wants to spend their whole afternoon indoors. Clock out at four!
- Try and arrange with your boss to come in an hour earlier and leave an hour earlier during the summer months.
- You could also see if you can work through your lunch on Fridays and leave at four to jump start the weekend!
B2B and E-Commerce Solutions
Data Security and Fraud Prevention
FI Partner Program
Gift Cards and Customer Rewards
Just For Fun
02/27/2019 - Take The Hassle Out Of Tax Sea
02/13/2018 - Innovative Visa Wearables Make
02/13/2018 - Little-Known Secrets of Credit
07/19/2017 - Beat the Summertime Blues
OMEGA in the Community
OMEGA Merchants, News, and People
Products and Services
Short-Term Capital Funding
The OMEGA MPVs